As a follow up to our announcement of the new loyalty program partnership between the LCBO and Aeroplan, we are happy to share the following details of the program and opportunities for participation in launch activities. Additionally, information will be shared in the coming weeks.
The Aeroplan program offers a cost-effective way for our Trade Partners to engage customers through bonus points to drive sales, as well as expanded promotional offerings (coming in 2022). For the first phase of the program, these bonus point offers are limited to single SKUs. In the future there will be expanded bonus offers available.
The Redesigned Aeroplan Program:
In fall 2020, Aeroplan launched an exciting redesign of the program to address some of the pain points associated with travel loyalty as identified through research with over 36,000 Canadians. New partnerships like LCBO and Starbucks, also help to deliver on their strategy of increasing relevancy for members with opportunities to earn and redeem for more every day type purchases. They also made significant technology upgrades which enables better functionality and personalization. Some of the key new customer features of the Aeroplan program include:
- - Ability to book an Air Canada seat in every cabin for a realistic amount of points
- - Flexible bookings allow for combinations of points and cash
- - Seamless earn and redemption with relevant everyday partners
- - Family points sharing
- - Micro-redemption opportunities
Aeroplan at the LCBO:
- Members will earn 1 point for every $4 spent at retail LCBO stores starting in late 2021
- Initially we will launch in retail stores with online channels to follow (date tbc)
- Members will be able to redeem their Aeroplan points for travel, merchandise, or gift cards, including LCBO gift cards, via the Aeroplan eStore.
Key Information for Trade Partners
- - Bonus points on products each Period
- - Price per point: $0.025
- - Signage fee of $750 per product offer
For products interested in adding a loyalty points promotional program in P10 – P13 (either net new or enhancing an existing program, including LTO offer) and/or P1 - P2, please complete the application template (attached below) and forward it to your category representatives.
Special Period 10 Introductory Promotion (Dec 1 – 24) - LCBO will top up all P10 Trade partner bonus point offers to enhance the offer as a 2X points reward for customers – i.e., Trade partners fund the bonus point offer and LCBO matches the bonus points to reward customers with 2X points (without exceeding max amount). This will be supported with internal and external marketing support.
- - P10 - P13 – deadline Sep 10th
- - P1 onwards – deadline per Phase 2 MPTS Application deadlines as published
Given short lead time, approvals may be subject to availability of required forecasted inventory.
Signage will apply to those currently on display or in-section.
Minimum points offer apply, as follows:
The launch of the new loyalty program is a key initiative for LCBO and as such will be supported in all communication channels as well as Aeroplan channels. Additionally, there will be an introductory bonus point offer in-stores during Period 9 to reward existing LCBO customers who are Aeroplan members and those who join the program during the promotional period.
In addition to the 2X the bonus points retail offer in P10, we will run a special promotion for customers who shop on LCBO.com (including Same Day Pickup) – they will receive 20 bonus points (with a $50 spend, one per customer).
Our Retail and LCBO.com marketing channels will include:
- - Exterior store Banner
- - Hero store banner stand
- - Window show card
- - Till Topper
- - Entrance door decal
- - In-section shelf talker
- - Bin tags
- - Owned social media
- - Food & Drink
- - CRM
- - external advertising
- - LCBO.com
Aeroplan will support for the launch through dedicated emails, paid external marketing and using their internal channels.
- A webinar is being planned to provide additional details about the Loyalty program and Trade opportunities. Stay tuned for the date and details on how to attend.
- Details on reporting and analytics on bonus offers will be provided in late 2021
- Information on additional promotion opportunities and timing will be provided in early 2022
About Aeroplan Members:
- Aeroplan has an active base of over 2M members aged 19 years +in Ontario
- $1 out of every $10 spent on a credit card in Canada is on an Aeroplan credit card
- 91% of Aeroplan members in Ontario live within 5km of an LCBO retail store
- 86% of Ontario FSAs have Aeroplan Members living in them
About Aeroplan partners:
Aeroplan has many partners across 3 different verticals including:
- Air – 42 different earn/redeem airline partners traveling to over 1300 destinations
- Travel – 16 different hotel earn/redeem/conversion partners and 7 car & park earn/redeem partners
- Retail – more than 170 eStore earn retailers and 32 retail gift card redemption partners